Tuesday 15 August 2017

Let Me Out

Please, please let me out of here
The voice was faint but clear.
Please, if you can hear me
Just come and rescue me..

I was stopped in a quiet little park
There is rarely much noise after dark.
I am usually alone and don't think too much
About others who might be camping near us.

But what was the voice I heard so well?
Was there a message for me to tell?
It must have been coming from deep inside
Reminding me of things I'd tried to hide.

Was it the scribe who kept track of the years
And recorded my dreams and my fears
Reminding me that another decade had passed
And opportunities were disappearing fast?

Was it the voice of my conscience saying
That I'd got careless about church and praying                
And if I wanted to secure my place in the sky
There were some things that I should try?

Was it the little fat girl hidden inside
Still counting the fads and diets I'd tried,
Telling me that nobody else gave a damn
So relax and enjoy the person I am?

The questions still came thick and fast.
I needed to get a solution at last.
I'd get out and walk around for a bit
To let the cold air clear my head of it.

But as I stepped out into the dark
The quiet words now came loud and stark.
In the hope that the questions would begin to still
I used the words of Samuel: Lord what is your will?

Can't you hear me? Can't you see that I'm stuck
While you're sprouting all that religious stuff.
The child lock is on and I can't open the door
I've spent all night here on the floor.

The dog's been sick and the smell is rotten
If there's a spare key I have forgotten.
So please, pretty please, let me out if you can.
I've lost my enthusiasm for this new van.

Thanks to Lorraine (and her big dog Mena) who shared a journey in her new van.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.