Sunday 8 April 2018

Carjacker

At the Man from Snowy River festival yesterday I competed in a one-minute poem competition. The results were varied and generally humorous. They had to include the words 'but a final glimpse reveals'. I didn't get a guernsey but was happy with my presentation.

I slow at the intersection,
Well, I ooze through a red light.
It is a very small town,
No cops or cars in sight.

Now I realise I have a carjacker
Who had jumped aboard as I slowed.
He clings to the ridge of the bonnet
Right between me and the road.

He grins at me through the windscreen
And winks with his big evil eyes
And give a bow as a kind of a tribute
With all the panache of his size.

I am not a competitive driver
But I like to choose who can ride.
So I turn on the windscreen wipers
And flip him off to the side.

He gives me a look of reproach
As he gets washed and flung into flight
But a final glimpse reveals to me,
No carjacker, just a hitchhiking fly in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.