Thursday 7 December 2017

Bully Boy 2



I was not happy with the rhythm of this poem earlier but I still loved the story so if it feels familiar, that's the reason.

BULLY BOY 

BLAARP! The air horn blasted from at least a k behind –
Nice to get the warning but there’s no passing spot to find.
The narrow verge is wet and the bull dust’s turned to slime
I know I can pull over if he gives me space and time.

I sit on the speed limit, hardly daring to look back.
BLAARP!  This feels like flack in an enemy attack
But the monster there behind me is catching up I’m sure.
BLAARP! Not a friendly toot but an intimidating roar.

I’m travelling faster than I ever think is right.
I watch him bearing down on me, a terrifying sight.
I’m way above the limit – but he’s huge with towering load
I’m so focused on him, hardly looking at the road.

Damn! I missed a driveway. I’m far too fast to turn
But in this highway nightmare I’ve still a lot to learn.
I put my blinkers on to let him know I’m pulling over
It’s like a deadly version of the children's game Red Rover.

At last I see a gravel pit with space to turn and hide
I brake and leave the road with a dramatic sideways slide.
I sit there trembling with my nerves all shot to hell
I think, now that I’ve survived, I’ll have a tale to tell.

One last blast and he thunders past then begins to brake.
After all that blatant aggro, he dares me to overtake.
He’s watching me in the mirror and sends a quick salute
A middle-finger greeting from a bully and a brute.

I edge in there behind him and slow to match his pace
Never game to pass him now he’s made this into a race.
I know he’d sit behind me and blast his rotten horn
I lift my head with purpose and hope he can feel my scorn.

So I try to feel complacent and hope I look the same
As I sit there in the roadway trying not to play his game.
But closer, ever closer I allow myself to creep
Then I summon all my courage and give a small defiant ...BEEP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.